Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Geez! Bad timing!

So, Kevin actually took some time off of work this week so we could take a little mini-vacation. We were looking forward to going out to Twin Lakes and taking Braden fisshing for a couple of days, but it wasn't to be. At least, not yet. First Noah has come down with a mild case of diarrhea, I think it's very mild rotavirus, but other than the diarrhea, he's fine. So we thought, no big deal. We'll still go. Well, the day before our vacation started (so, yesterday), Braden started acting sick. At first he was just tired and had a fever. But as the day went on he started getting worse. His stomach hurt, especially bad if you touched it, he felt dizzy, and he kept getting a higher and higher fever. It got so bad that I ended up calling Kevin to come home from work early. Braden's temp was 104.6 and he was in some pretty bad pain, so Kevin took him in to the emergency room at about 10:00 PM. They didn't get home until 1:45 AM! Poor Braden! So while they were there, the doctors/nurses (?) went to give him Tylenol, but Kevin told them that Tylenol makes Braden throw up. They gave it to him anyway and, guess what, he threw up all over himself and Kevin. They gave Braden a kid sized hospital gown to wear (he ended up wearing it all night). When they checked Braden's mouth, the doctor was shocked by how bad he looked. He couldn't believe that Braden was still swallowing and talking because he apparently has Strep bad. So now he's on antibiotics and he's even grumpier today than yesterday and he's refusing to take his medicine. Kevin's had to literally force it down him twice already. Great vacation.

Oh well. Thinking about it, though, I see that things worked out at the best time. Kevin is home to help me. I know that I couldn't take care of Braden and Noah like this by myself. And, since Noah has diarrhea, maybe that will help keep him from getting Strep, because the bug would (hopefully) get flushed out before it could make him sick. Plus, Kevin took time off through next Wednesday, so we'll hopefully still have time to go to the lake. Small blessings that make a big difference.

6 comments:

snbjork said...

Poor Bradenman! Strep is nasty nasty business. So miserable.....Is he sleeping a lot since he's been sick? I hope so for everyone's sake! And I hope that he will get better quickly so that you can still take your trip. Is it supposed to clear up in a few days with the antibiotics?

Poor, poor Braden. And poor, poor, Mommy and Daddy!

Barry said...

I hope Braden feels better soon and you guys can enjoy a vacation at the lake. I'm sure you will all need it when he is better.

sweetpea#1 said...

That is so scary for you guys! I can't imagine what that was like. I really hope the baby is kept from getting it and that Braden recovers completely. I also hope you are able to have fun before the end of your husband's time off! I will send prayers your way.

Brittanie said...

Awwwww, poor little guy! I hope he gets over it quickly. It's so sad when little kids are sick.

And I hope Noah gets over his little bug soon too!

Kari said...

More to come on our saga! I forgot. After Braden threw up the tylenol, they gave him a suppository. Hikes!

The A Family said...

Last year I had strep and felt like I had been hit by a truck. I finally went into the emergency room before Preston went to work one day. Lo and behold the insurance refused to pay for it, even after I appealed it. They said strep was not an emergency and they expect me to pay over $400 out of my pocket because of it!!!