Thursday, August 21, 2008

Geez! Part two

Well, Braden is getting better. With antibiotics his bug should only last 1-3 days. Also, he's not contagious anymore, so the likelyhood of Noah getting it now is small. That's the follow up. On with the rest of the story.

Noah has eczema. It's fairly bad. I've always assumed that it's caused in part by allergies. Well, it's finally starting to look a little better, but a few days ago he started getting another, different rash. We didn't worry about it too much, since we're used to seeing a rash on him, but it started getting worse, so we decided last night to call and make an appointment for him. Well, this morning we're all kind of busy and don't remember right away, so I went to put Noah down for a nap. He didn't want to sleep, so I go to pick him up and his face is covered with this rash. So I'm like, Oh crap! and go to tell Kevin that we need to just take him in (our doctor does walk-ins) when I notice he has hives on his hand. The poor kid looked like he was attacked by mosquitoes! So Kevin takes him in and the receptioninst says, "Is he sick?" Kevin told her no but that he has a "funky rash and hives." So she told him he had to make an appointment and come back later. She didn't ask how old he is, if this is the first time he's had this, nothing! Luckily, the appointment was for later today. So Kevin again took him in, waited to be seen in a not busy waiting room for an hour, got Noah weighed, and then waited another half an hour to be seen by the doctor. They were both asleep by the time someone showed up. Not the doctor! The doctor wasn't in today, so a PA from the hospital emergency room was filling in. She said there was nothing they could do for him, except we could try kids Benadryl cream. Gee, helpful. She did check his throat for strep and so far he looks okay. Also the diarrhea is going around and nothing to worry about. So that's good. Oh, by the time they went to the appointment the rash on his face was gone (he still has it elsewhere) and the hives were gone too. He till has tiny red dots where the hives were, though. Can't they just test him for allergies?

Also, this is not the first time we've been unhappy with the staff. We love the doctor, but hate the staff. We're going to try a different doctor. The PA even reccommended one.

6 comments:

snbjork said...

What a grand waste of time! I absolutely abhor going to the doctor's office for me or the kids. I feel almost like it's just a formality in so many ways. I'm not sure I can remember a time that I really felt like going was very helpful other than to get the required vaccinations for the babes.

Anyway, sorry about all of your troubles. But, I am so glad that Braden is getting better so quickly.

So, with Noah's eczema do you have to use all fragrance-free stuff (lotions, soaps, etc)? Is there anything else you can do for it? Just curious. I have many clear pictures of poor Kevin scratching away all the time. That has to be such a pain!

I love you. I miss you. When are you moving three doors down??? =)

Kari said...

We've been using fragrance free stuff anyway (detergent, dryer sheets, Dove soap and Cetaphil lotion) but the biggest thing is definetly the lotion. He had horrible cradle cap (he was scaly and smelly). We tried everything the doctor told us and nothing worked. We finally decided to try putting Cetaphil on his head and it worked! So we loved the stuff anyway, but now we're hooked. I think that the biggest reason he and Kevin has the eczema is because of allergies, so if we could just figure out what he's allergic to...

I love and miss you too! Hopefully we'll move soon! Seriously, our health insurance costs are going to go way up because of budget cuts.

Brittanie said...

I had a friend who's son had pretty bad eczema. Turned out he had a milk protein allergy (not lactose intolerance, they're different). Anyway, she was nursing, and when she stopped eating dairy it went away. I don't know if you can look into that.

sweetpea#1 said...

Well, if it is any comfort to your dr. ordeal, my pediatrician ran out of ideas on what is going on with Eli and decided to accuse me of being a bad mother and Darryl a bad father. He openly accused us of not bonding with her and giving her a reason to eat and actually made me tell him how bottles are made and show him how I feed my own child. He humiliated me and made very false accusations that could really hurt our family. It was aweful but we went to our second opinion dr and she helped us out and our insurance is asking us to make a discrepancy against him.
I really hope that your little one is okay and that you can find someone who figures out what is going on. I am really glad to hear Braden is getting better! Talk to you later.

The A Family said...

Wow, the crazy things that happen with kids! When Ammon was two He had a strange rash that looked like a mix of hives and chicken pox. It started on his chest and then spread all over his whole body. The PA at the doctors office could not figure out what it was. After talking to the doctor and doing some research they decided it was a delayed reaction to the antibiotics he had been on a week earlier. And that if he was every on penicillin based antibiotics again he could have a very severe reaction. Crazy huh?

CasaJenkins said...

I am so sorry, I hope he gets feeling better soon. Toy should definitely try a new doctor and see. Good luck